Delevoped by Walther for the Wehrmacht in World War II it was designed to be a replacement for the Luger P08. It introduced the Single Action/Double Action trigger system for a locked-breech and had a decocking lever to allow it to be carried with a chambered round. It was also the first to have a loaded chamber indicator.
None were produced after the war until 1957 when West germany re-equipped its armed forces and the P38 once again became the standard military sidearm, designated P1. They were phased out in 2004, replaced with the H&K USP (See Mk23), and production was finally stopped in 2000.
Copyright 2020 Standard Deviation Ltd